Thursday, March 1, 2012

Week 1 - Types of Learning

For our first design project, we must create a learning space in Howard Smith Wharf. Yasu asked us to push our idea of what learning is and how this will affect the design and feeling of the space. This got me thinking about different types of learning and how people react to different things. During my research, I found the way that people react to learning are similar to the way people react to spaces and objects. Throughout school, I was always told there are three types of learning: auditory, visual and kinaesthetic. These styles of learning relate to how information is given to a person and which is the easiest for them to absorb and understand it. I researched further into the types of learning and found numerous studies and models that project how people are able to absorb and retain new things. Models by Kolb and Honey and Mumford caught my attention, not only because they are similar to the original three types of learning, but also how easily the styles can be reflected back to architecture. Below is a Model that combines both Kolb and Honey and Mumford’s theories.

Stephen Jennings. 2007 “Kolb and Honey and Mumford’s Learning Models” Accessed March 1st, 2012.

Doing, feeling, watching and thinking, I know from experience that whenever I enter a space, my mind goes through a similar process to learn about the space. Firstly, walking through the space to explore it, and then watching the people around me and how they interact with each other and the space. I usually then analyse what I have seen and reflect back on it after I have left. Now that I have identified a logical way that people approach, not only educational learning, but learning out in the world, I will be able to reflect back on this while I am walking to the site on Monday. Hopefully watching for the different types of learning around the site (ie: people sitting and reflecting, people actively engaging with spaces) I will not only get a better insight into the site, but also be able to design a learning space suitable for Howard Smith Wharf. 



No comments:

Post a Comment