Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Week 10 - Redesigning


After the presentation last week, the next step in the design process for this assignment is to extend from our last design. The feedback I received was that the concept of the mangroves was not clear in the architecture, only in the interior design qualities. I decided to further research and analyse the form of the mangrove to find some inspiration for the building shape and layout.
The image shows a small mangrove tree growing in the water. I noticed with a lot of the different species of mangroves, that they are very bottom heavy, in the sense that besides the leaves and trunk, their main feature is the twisting root system.


Mangrove Image (Reef Ball Foundation Inc, 2007)
I thought this could potentially be a starting point for the spatial layout of the building. Using this idea of a singular object which splits and separates into multiple individual objects that have their own functions could be how the library is laid out. This idea would fit easily into my concept of public to private filtration which is achieved through levels. The diagram below shows how I would achieve this layout.


The only problem with this idea is that to achieve this concept in the building, the idea of the mangrove would have to be inverted, so that users enter the building at the singular section (ie the trunk) and as they move further up into the building, they reach the smaller areas (ie the roots).

The other idea I got from researching the mangrove form was how the mangrove roots entangle within themselves to create smaller spaces, which can be seen below. In my original design, I had split the age groups into 6-12 and 13-18 years old. After some consideration, I decided to add another age bracket into this and have a 10-14 yrs old area. Using the theory of the mangrove roots, as well as dividing each age group, I will split the spaces again to create public and provide areas within each age group to ensure each child gets the most of the library. 



I will continue to work on these ideas next week to try and create a rough set of plans to present for feedback for next week.

Sources:
Reef Ball Foundation Inc. 2007. “Mangroves” Accessed May 7th, 2012. http://www.mangrovesolutions.com/whyimportant.php