Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Week 12 - A New Direction in the Design Process


From last week, I decided to take a different approach to how I was looking at the mangrove roots, because my previous tactics had not been creating what I wanted. So instead of trying to create forms that replicated the shape of the roots, I decided to look at the spaces created by the roots. I began by going over my previous research and looking at the shapes of the roots and the spaces that are created within them. My favourite shapes were the roots the arched over one another to create layers of shapes and spaces. I have done a quick sketch below to show this.


So I decided that my structure would be made from a series of overlapping arches that would create spaces within them. I did some research to find some examples of how the structure could look, both from the interior and exterior. I found this image below of an atrium area in Toronto which has intricate arches and a glass roof, so when the sun is overheads, the shadows created by the arches are projected down into the interior. I really liked this design because if I used a similar approach, then it could look like the sun shining down through the mangrove roots.

Arches, Toronto (Wikipedia, 2008)
In terms of exterior, I really wanted the root structures to be seen from the outside, so that the building resembles a mass of mangrove roots. A structure that reminds me of this is the Birds Nest Stadium, which can be seen below. The metal structure also becomes the feature at night time, as the backlighting accentuates the shapes.

Birds Nest Stadium (Randal, 2011)
I began the next stage of the design process by taking my initial bubble diagram and drawing on the rough placement of arches, which can be seen below.


The shape would be created by a series of pods with a random placement of arches, similar to the randomness in the mangrove root systems. To take the idea from plan form to the third dimension, I used the roof plan to create an elevation, which can be seen below.


From this view, the mangrove inspiration can easily be recognised, as the root structures twist and overlap one another. My next step was to create some rough floor plans, which can be seen below. I decided to keep the two levels, to have public and private areas. In my previous designs, each age group had specific areas from them, but I have decided that I will design spaces aimed at certain age groups, but they have no obligation to stick to these groups. The insets and notes on each plan details some of my ideas for the spaces, which I have taken from my initial design and also exemplar research.

Ground Floor Plan

First Floor Plan

In terms of how the arched spaces work across the levels, I have decided that there will be a lot of voids, to create a layer of views and filtered lighting as you walk through the spaces. Hopefully this will create a realistic effect of how it feels inside mangrove roots. The section below shows an example of the voids.




Material wise, I wanted to use a semitransparent material that is strung between root structures. This will create a skin across the building that will allow light to filter through and create shadows where the steel root structures are. I have not fully resolved this yet, but will do so when finalising the plans and details. The sketches of these ideas can be seen below.




Resources:

Wikipedia. 2008. “Ärches, Toronto” Accessed May 22nd. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Arches_Toronto.jpg